Friday, November 11, 2011

Robot Bird with a Panel in His Chest that Contains Two Mechanical Arms

So I never did get around to running the introductory module that came with Gamma World, and I have to admit that it barely bothered me because character creation was so damn amazing. Looking over it again, I can see that it's apparently 7 combat encounters, a really loose hook and virtually nothing else. In fact, this line from the text is rather woeful!

After the adventurers enter the steading and make their way to the installation of the Ancients beneath it, the encounters between poster maps are not physically connected. They pass through dozens of interconnected chambers, descend stone or metal stairs, and occasionally find straight connecting passages. These corridors, tunnels, and chambers aren’t shown on the battle maps.

Let me repeat the important part again: "They pass through dozens of interconnected chambers, descend stone or metal stairs, and occasionally find straight connecting passages."

I know this is Gamma World, but anyone who's read it will see that it's clearly designed by the same people and pretty much has the exact same tone as 4e. And regardless of how my group has played 4th edition D&D(which I think we've had some awesome games with), WotC expects a great deal of abstraction of the events between combats!

So, I say to them this, I'm sorry Wizards of the Coast, but even though it will lead to me being completely confused if I ever attend another D&D encounters or Living Forgotten Realms game, I enjoy your games and prefer to actually play out those "dozens of interconnected chambers," even if it means that I might not be able to pack more than 2 or 3 combats into a single 4 hour session!

...and the group might even come up with a plan to bypass or talk their way out of those combats!

No comments:

Post a Comment